Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Cream of Carrot & Pepper Soup


My favourite vegetable are carrots - and I really love this creamy carrot soup. It's sweet and salty, spicy and keeps you warm on a cold winter's day.

I got this recipe from my host mum Sarah in England. I lived with her family in Cornwall when I went to school there many many years ago.



For 3-4 servings:
  • 4 large carrots, grated
  • 3/4 litre vegetable stock
  • 2 teaspoons honey
  • 1 teaspoon pickled green peppercorns
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 2 pods star anise
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground tumeric
  • 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • 4 tablespoons soy cream (you can use normal cow's milk cream of course, but soy cream tastes slightly different and I think it's better with this soup)
In a large cooking pot, cook carrots, peppercorns and vegetable soup until the carrots are soft. Purée the mixtrue using a blender. Put back into the cooking pot, add honey, cinnamon stick, star anise, tumeric, cardamom and cook for another 10 minutes. 

Stir in the soy cream. You can add some extra soy cream and some strips of carrot for decoration.

Enjoy your meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment